I’m pretty sure most kids fall into one of two categories: the ones that hate washing their hands and will avoid it at all costs and the ones that want to wash their hands until they’re nice and wrinkly. This germaphobe momma is pleased to say that my son falls into the second category. He happily washes his hands and does it well. If you’re struggling with getting your child to wash their hands you’ll want to give these tips a try.
- Encourage independence – Preschoolers love to do everything themselves. They’re constantly testing limits and looking for encouragement. Let them wash their hands and throw a little praise their way. Sure it may take more time, but in the long run it will pay off with a clean, confident kiddo.
- Use a visual aid – Sometimes preschoolers need a reminder of what comes next. I adore this free printable from Frugal Mom and Wife that includes visual cues for each step of washing your hands. Visual aids like this can be incredibly helpful for pre-readers.
- Sing a song – Did you know that the CDC recommends you scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds? This can feel like an eternity in preschooler time. Try singing a song while you wash. The ABC song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Row Row Row Your Boat all work well. If you’re feeling creative you can even come up with your own little tune.
- Make the sink more accessible – A small stool will make handwashing easier for kids. When they’re in charge of turning on the faucet and getting the soap they’re more likely to want to do it. Since they won’t have trouble seeing they’ll also be able to clean their hands better and make less of a mess.
- Give them their own special soap – Kids love feeling special so designate a special soap for them to use. My son loves Dial Kids Foaming Hand Wash. The bottle is just the right size for little hands and he gets excited with the “bubbles” (aka foam) it pumps out. Its “watery melon” scent is so good I can’t help but use it when I wash my hands too!
Thanks to Purex Insiders and Dial we had the pleasure of trying Dial Kids Foaming Hand Wash and Dial Baby Body & Hair Wash. Both washes keep kids and parents happy with their gentle formulas developed by pediatric dermatologists. They’re hypoallergenic with no added parabens or artificial dyes. I’m confident you’ll love these as much as we do so I’m happy to host a giveaway for a free bottle of your choice. The winner will receive one coupon for either a free bottle of Dial Kids Foaming Hand Wash or Dial Baby Body & Hair Wash. Please be sure to follow the rules in order for each entry to count. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Dial® brand provided me with a sample of Dial® Baby Body + Hair Wash and Dial® Kids Foaming Hand Soap and coupons to share in exchange for a product review. Please know that all the opinions expressed here are entirely my own and not influenced in any way.