For the longest time I couldn’t get my son to sit down and read with me. It just wasn’t happening. I kept trying and trying and then one day he decided he liked it. Finally! Now he won’t go to bed unless we read a few books before. I’m happy to say this is working well for all of us. He looks forward to his bedtime stories and realizes that bedtime comes next, even if he isn’t happy about that. Board books are perfect for our toddler’s bedtime routine. They’re short enough to keep him interested and we can read a few in a reasonable amount of time. Here are some of our favorites.
1. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown – You can’t go wrong with this classic. It is the perfect last book before calling it a night.
2. Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton – My son adores this book. After each page he mumbles “um hm” as if saying “me too!”.
3. Ten Little Dinosaurs by Pattie Schnetzler – This is a fun twist on the “ten little monkeys” storyline. My son goes crazy for the dinosaur’s wiggly eyeballs.
4. Ten Little Kisses by Russell Julian – What toddler doesn’t love counting books? My favorite part is being able to sneak in more kisses from my little one.
5. You Are My Sunshine by Jimmie Davis – A classic song with superb illustrations.
Have you read any of the books on our list? What are some of your favorites?