My in-laws are terrific cooks. When we get together I know there will be something undeniably delicious to eat. I’m sure I tried plenty of good eats the first time I had dinner with them, but the only thing I remember is my mother in law’s salad. Before I met her I used to think a salad was just some romaine lettuce, croutons, and bottled dressing thrown in a bowl. Boy was I wrong. She introduced me to a salad that was both sweet and savory. While this may not be the exact same salad, this is my go to when I’m craving one of her incredible salads but don’t have her around.
I’d feel silly calling this a recipe so I won’t. It couldn’t be any easier.
What you’ll need:
- Greens – I prefer baby spinach or a baby spring mix.
- Fruit – I had pears on hand, but apples work really well too.
- Nuts – Almonds and walnuts are my top choices.
- Cheese – Blue cheese is always in my refrigerator. Feta and Gorgonzola are also a good match for this salad.
- Extras – Throw in some Craisins. You won’t be disappointed.
- Balsamic vinegar
Put it together and drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Enjoy!